Sunday, February 17, 2008

Act 1, Scene 1

A darkened stage. On the edge sits a man (Jack) in a generic black suit drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. From SR enters another man (John) also clad in a generic black suit and carrying a beer.

John: And so here sits the wasted brilliance of American youth, shaving the dog-minutes off of his life one mellow drag at a time.

Jack:(turning to face John) Johnathan! (gets up and hugs the other) I had no idea that you had made it down. I didn't see you during the service.

John: Well, there were quit a few people there. (they sit) Plus I was more than a little late. Seemed unpolite to push my way up the front of the crowd.

Jack: I don't think he missed you.(holds out cig. pack)

John: Thanks. (takes and lights) I didn't see Mary in there anywhere.

Jack: (Deadpan)No. No you didn't. (beat) It's hard to believe he's gone. I mean, I knew and all... it... it just seemed so fake.

John: What'd you think? Some T.V. style doctor was going to pop in one day and say, "It really is a miraculous recovery. Never seen anything like it." That stuff doesn't happen in the real world.

Jack: Yeah, well...

John: It's over now, kid.(arm around Jack. Jack seems uncomfortable) Its over and we can put the whole of it behind us.

Jack: (beat) Except for the book.

John: (removes arm, beat) Except for the book.

Lights fade to black

1 comment:

Monda said...

"Shaving the dog minutes off his life one mellow drag at a time" is stunning.

Nothing is as stunning as the end, though. I'm also loving the form.

More of this!